STURGIS, S.D. (AP) — The mayor of Sturgis says city officials can’t stop people from coming to the annual motorcycle gathering in the Black Hills, regardless of the coronavirus.
The 80th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is scheduled for August 7 through August 16.
The Rapid City Journal reports that the city council has said it would make an official decision in mid-June on whether to go forward with hosting the event.
Mayor Mark Carstensen said in a Facebook video that “tourism is coming” to the Black Hills and Sturgis, whatever the city council decides.
State health officials on Saturday confirmed 112 new cases of the coronavirus, bumping the total to 4,468.
- Democrats fight for chance to take on GOP Sen. Ernst in Iowa
- MercyOne Siouxland Heart and Vascular Center earns echocardiography accreditiation
- President Trump slams governors as ‘weak,’ urges crackdown on protests
- South Dakota sees 41 new COVID-19 cases
- NDCS says two more staff members are positive for COVID-19