RAPID CITY, S.D. (AP) — Federal workplace safety officials are investigating a fatal construction accident in Rapid City.
The Rapid City Journal reports the Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the trench collapse that trapped two workers, killing one of them.
Fire officials said the accident happened Monday afternoon while the men were working.
Police and medics arrived to find the men trapped under a dirt pile — one man submerged up to his chest and another completely submerged up to his head. His body was recovered after about five hours of digging.
The rescued man was uninjured.
- Mayonnaise used as miracle treatment for endangered turtles
- Water main break in Monona County makes water unsafe to use
- February 27: Iowa reports 612 new positive COVID-19 tests
- Monarch butterflies down 26% in Mexico wintering grounds
- President Biden delivers remarks after House passes $1.9T COVID-19 stimulus plan