SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — South Dakota spent approximately $1.5 million for its Independence Day celebration that featured a speech from President Donald Trump and fireworks above the Mount Rushmore National Memorial.
The estimate from the Department of Tourism covers all security, transportation, and pyrotechnics for the event.
The fireworks display alone cost the state $350,000. But the Department of Tourism said the advertising exposure and tourism spending more than made up for the expenses.
The Department of Tourism estimates that tourism spending of $2 million brought in $160,000 in tax revenue.
It also says the media coverage of the fireworks was worth about $22 million in advertising.
- Flag-draped coffins of troops from sunken tank sent to Dover
- Texas couple charged after infant son found dead in bucket of tar
- Trump admits he’s blocking postal cash to stop mail-in votes
- Nebraska traffic back to level seen before virus outbreak
- One person sent to hospital after two-vehicle crash near Norfolk