CUSTER, S.D. (AP) — The presiding judge of the 7th Judicial Circuit has written a proposed order saying judges won’t appear in Custer County court after commissioners approved a measure allowing guns inside the courthouse.
The Rapid City Journal reports that county commissioners adopted the ordinance to allow firearms despite opposition from presiding Judge Craig Pfeifle and Judge Matt Brown and a state’s attorney’s opinion that it would be a safety risk, a legal liability, and a financial burden.
Judge Pfeifle said he’s sent the proposed order to the South Dakota Supreme Court, which will review it for approval or rejection in January.
Latest Local Stories
- UPDATE: Estherville Police Department said juvenile found safely
- January 22: Nebraska reports more than 900 new COVID-19 cases, 10 deaths
- Remsen grocery store destroyed by fire being rebuilt
- Editorial cartoon exhibit on display at Sioux City Public Museum
- Woman arrested after hitting police car with padlock attached to sock