DYERSVILLE, Iowa (AP) — Police say a woman in eastern Iowa is hospitalized after she was shot by her 2-year-old child.
The Telegraph Herald of Dubuque reports the shooting happened Wednesday night in Dyersville.
Police revealed the shooting Friday morning in a news release, but gave few details.
Police said investigators determined that the 21-year-old woman was shot by the toddler after the child found a handgun “that was left unsecured.”
The woman was taken by ambulance to a Dubuque, then airlifted to an Iowa City hospital for treatment.
Police have not released the woman’s name and said authorities are considering whether to file charges in the case.
- Siouxland students prepare for careers as pharmacy technicians
- Holstein community gathers to watch Siouxland men make pitch to “Sharks”
- Paying more for a cup of Joe? Coffee bean prices on the rise
- Church in a bar: Faith group worships at Sioux Falls bar
- Senate Democrats reach deal on jobless benefits, allowing $1.9T COVID relief bill to move ahead