LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — The number of coronavirus cases continues to grow within Nebraska’s prison system. The Nebraska Department of Correctional Services said in a news release late Thursday that six staff members across the state’s system had tested positive for the virus.
That’s in addition to another three infected staffers announced on Wednesday. On Tuesday, the agency announced that an inmate in his 70s had died after contracting the virus.
The latest cases bring the number of Nebraska prison staffers infected since the pandemic began to 356. Of those, 250 have recovered.
Nearly 700 inmates had tested positive for the virus by late last week.
- Former Pres. Obama, Minnesota governor, and more react to Chauvin verdict
- Police ticket Nebraska man who accidentally shot self in the foot
- Police: Two men charged with hate crimes after yelling racial slurs during assault in Des Moines
- Siouxland Forecast: April 20, 2021
- Sioux Falls brewery uses river water to make beer