OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Police and firefighters in Omaha, Nebraska, evacuated a Creighton University dormitory after a student told emergency room staff that she had tried to make the poison ricin in her dorm room in an attempt to harm herself.
The Omaha World-Herald reports that officials also shut down the Creighton University Medical Center emergency room on the university’s campus as a precaution.
Omaha Police Officer Joseph Nickerson says the scramble to head off any possible ricin exposure began around 9 p.m. Thursday, when police were contacted.
About 50 Creighton students were evacuated from Davis Square apartments and moved to other campus housing.
Nickerson says a hazardous materials crew cleaned the building.