KEARNEY, Neb. (AP) – Officers rescued a woman and a 7-year-old child after they fell through ice into water at Fort Kearney State Recreation Area.
First responders were sent to the park Sunday around 3 p.m. Station KSNB reports the child had broken through after going out onto the ice to retrieve a small dog, and the mother of the girl’s friend went in after the girl.
Rescuers threw the pair a flotation device attached to a long rope and then pulled them to safety ashore.
The two were taken to a Kearney hospital and were expected to recover from their chilly ordeal.
- Iowa Governor Reynolds’ medical procedures order halts abortions
- Nebraska health officials announce seven new cases of COVID-19, brings state total to 96
- Should I be tested for COVID-19? Three signs you may need the test
- Stimulus Check Calculator: How much money will you get?
- Health officials announce 10 new cases of COVID-19 in South Dakota, brings state total to 68