OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — A grand jury will be called to investigate the death of a 23-year-old man who was being held on charges at the Douglas County Jail in Omaha.
Authorities say Daniel Walton, of Omaha, was found unresponsive in his cell late Saturday night and pronounced dead at an Omaha hospital.
Walton had been booked into the jail earlier Saturday after he was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence, assault by strangulation, possession of an unregistered firearm and carrying a concealed weapon.
State law requires a grand jury investigation anytime someone in jail or police custody dies.
- Iowa journalist arrested while covering protest goes on trial
- Officials say pilot killed in small plane crash in Nebraska
- Thousands of teachers in Omaha area get virus vaccinations
- 2 Sioux City men arrested on drug charges, trafficking stolen weapon
- Video: Driver crashes into North Carolina martial arts school when class in session