(NEXSTAR) — Check your tickets: the numbers are in for the third-largest Powerball jackpot of the year.
The winning numbers drawn on Monday, September 18, were: 2, 21, 26, 40, 42, and red Powerball 9. The Power Play was 3X.
Ahead of the drawing, Powerball officials estimated the jackpot to be $638 million, with a cash value of roughly $304.2 million. By the time of the drawing, the jackpot had grown slightly to $638.9 million.
At that size, this jackpot ranks as the 10th-largest in Powerball. It’s also the third-largest of 2023 — in February, there was a $754.6 million jackpot won by a ticket in Washington, and in July, a California ticket landed a $1.08 billion prize. Both of those prizes rank among the largest in the game’s history.
Here are the 10 largest Powerball jackpots on record:
- $2.04 billion: Nov. 7, 2022 (California)
- $1.586 billion: Jan. 13, 2016 (California, Florida, Tennessee)
- $1.08 billion: July 19, 2023 (California)
- $768.4 million: March 27, 2019 (Wisconsin)
- $758.7 million: Aug. 23, 2017 (Massachusetts)
- $754.6 million: Feb. 6, 2023 (Washington)
- $731.1 million: Jan. 20, 2021 (Maryland)
- $699.8 million: Oct. 4, 2021 (California)
- $687.8 million: Oct. 27, 2018 (Iowa, New York)
- $638.9 million (est. Sept. 18, 2023)
If anyone wins the jackpot Monday, they’ll have to choose between an annuitized payout over 29 years or a lump sum. Without a winner, the jackpot could become the ninth-largest Powerball jackpot, but it would need to grow by roughly $50 million.
With or without a jackpot winner, the next Powerball drawing will be Wednesday at 10:59 p.m. ET.
Powerball tickets are $2 each and are sold in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are held every Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday at 10:59 p.m. ET. You have a 1 in 24.9 chance of winning any prize, and a 1 in 292.2 million chance at winning the Powerball jackpot.