UPDATE: Fire crews continue to monitor fire that engulfed Morningside apartment complex


SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KCAU) – UPDATE (6:55 a.m.) – The fire that broke out Sunday afternoon is still keeping fire crews busy Monday morning.

Sioux City fire crews and police arrived to the scene of an apartment complex on the 1700 block of Morningside Avenue near Grace United Methodist Church in Morningside Sunday around 5:30 p.m.

Sunday night, fire officials said they would be at the scene until sunlight battling the flames, adding the building was too unstable for crews to get inside. They took a defensive side to fight the flames from the outside.

“Fire arriving crews arrived on scene. They were able to make entry into the third floor. They were able to clear the third floor of any occupants. At that time the fire had broken through the roof. And all crews were ordered to evacuate the building due to structural instability of the building itself,” Deputy Fire Marshal Captain Ryan Collins said.

The roof of the building later collapsed.

“What we’re doing out here right now is making sure there are no flare-ups, and making sure the property is safe and secure,” Captain Ed Voloshen of the Sioux City Fire Rescue said Monday morning.

Officials say a few people were treated for smoke inhalation. Officials said that all residents of the building have been accounted for but some pets were still inside as of last night.

Brendon Dobbs who lives in a neighboring building to the complex said he is counting his blessings.

“I’ve been very fortunate. But knowing that other people here have lost their homes and their personal belongings. It’s just a horrible thing,” Dobbs said.

Voloshen said that the investigator will be on scene Monday morning and that more information about the cause may be available later Monday.

KCAU 9’S Lydia Vasquez is there and will be there all morning to see if officials have established what may have caused the fire.

Sunday night

Sioux City fire crews and police are currently on the scene for a fire that broke out at approximately 5:30 p.m. at an apartment complex on the 1700 block of Morningside Avenue near Grace United Methodist Church in Morningside.

Fire officials have stated that all occupants have made it out of the building with some of them being treated for smoke inhalation. Some pets are still trapped in the building. The instability of the building is preventing crews from getting inside to save any pets at this time.

Due to the amount of water dispensed to fight the flames, individuals in the area are encouraged to travel cautiously as ice may have formed on the streets.

We will update this story as more information becomes available.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local News

Trending Stories