SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KCAU) – UPDATE: Thousands of Sparklight customers in the Sioux City area were without internet Monday after a squirrel chewed through underground cables.
Sparklight internet service went down Monday around 7:45 a.m., leaving thousands of customers disconnected.
The outage occurred at the corner of G and E. 33rd Streets in South Sioux City.
A Sparklight technician told KCAU 9 News the outage was caused by a squirrel that had apparently got into a cable guard on a utility pole and then chewed through dozens of cables to get out.
Around 2 p.m. Monday, the company said some customers saw service restored.
The company said in an update on a Facebook post that services should be fully restored as of 5 p.m. Monday afternoon.
Anyone who continues to have an issue with their internet service is asked to call 877-692-2253.
Sparklight is experiencing an internet and cable outage in the Sioux City area on Monday.
The company said on its Facebook page Monday that they’re “aware of an issue impacting internet and cable service to customers in the Sioux City area.”
Sparklight mentions that their technicians are working to get this resolved “as quickly as possible.”
The company said in the post that they apologize for any inconvenience and thanks its customers for their patience.
Sparklight mentions it will continue to provide updates as they become available.