SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KCAU) – A Siouxland songwriter was inspired to create something positive after racial tension has grown in the nation.
Local singer and songwriter Jill Miller composed a song called “Choose Love” with Rachel Barrentine from Nashville to encourage people to come together.
“Our nation feels so divided on everything, whether it’s COVID-19, racial injustice, or politics. So much of what we see is negative, and I felt very called to write something positive to encourage us to come together and choose love. We hope this sparks a positive movement in our community, our state, and our nation.” said Jill Miller.
The song has evolved into more than a song, but a social movement for the community, as local Sioux City residents came together to create a video that went with the song.
The City of Sioux City will proclaim the week of August 24 through the 28 as Choose Love in Siouxland week.
Events planned during the week include:
- August 24, Proclamation – Mayor Scott will present a proclamation at the City Council meeting
- August 25, Show Love to a Stranger – The community is encouraged to pay it forward or do an act of kindness to someone they don’t know.
- August 26, Show Love in Your Business and Teams – Businesses are asked to do something special for their employees, and employees are encouraged to show love to their co-workers. Choose Love signs will be displayed in businesses.
- August 27, Show Love in Your Neighborhoods – Children will be encouraged to color Choose Love coloring sheets and display them in the front window of their homes. The community will also be encouraged to write Choose Love on their sidewalks and driveways. Other ideas include saying a kind word to your neighbor or sending an encouraging text to 10 friends, etc.
- August 28, Show Love in Your Community – The week will cap off with a citywide event at Grandview Park beginning at 5:30 p.m. The event is free, and the public is invited. Masks and social distancing will be encouraged. There will be food trucks and music, followed by a program at 6:30 featuring local city leaders and a public showing of the Choose Love video.
You can watch the music video below.