SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KCAU) — UPDATE: The Sioux City Police Department provided more details about a man being sprayed by a fire extinguisher early Tuesday morning.

Police originally responded to a report of a burglary around 3:49 a.m. at an apartment on the 1500 block of Jones Street. At the scene, officers spoke with a man who told police that a woman and another man, later identified as Rodney Freemont, were in his apartment when an argument broke out over a fire extinguisher. The victim said the man then sprayed him with the fire extinguisher before fleeing with the woman and the victim’s dog.

Police searched for Freemont and the woman before finding Freemont in the laundry room of the Alta Vista Apartments on Jackson Street. Officers believed Freemont appeared intoxicated and then taken into custody.

Police said the victim’s dog was found with Freemont. The woman with Freemont has not yet been found by police.

Freemont has been charged with aggravated assault and public intoxication. The police are continuing to investigate the incident and said Freemont may face additional charges.


Minor correction: This story has been updated to reflect a more accurate timeline of events.

PREVIOUS: Sioux City police say a man has been taken to the hospital after being sprayed with a fire extinguisher during an alleged burglary on Tuesday.

At around 3:49 a.m., officers got a call to the 1500 block of Jones Street for a burglary in progress involving a person with a pellet gun.

Rodney Freemont

According to Community Policing Sergeant Thomas Gill, a man identified as Rodney Freemont, 26, sprayed the owner of the apartment with a fire extinguisher. The victim shot at Freemont with a pellet gun and Freemont fled the scene before being found by police.

Police said that they suspected Freemont of being under the influence of alcohol, and after refusing a breathalyzer, Freemont has been charged with assault while displaying a dangerous weapon and public intoxication. No burglary charges are being filed at this time.

The victim was transported to a local hospital to be treated for eye and throat injuries after being sprayed by the fire extinguisher.

“We have one of the two subjects in custody at this point. A male party was transported to the hospital, our victim, because of being sprayed with a fire extinguisher,” Petersen said.

Officer Petersen said that the events are currently under investigation.

This story may still be developing. KCAU 9 will continue to bring you updates as we learn more.