Homeowners asked to check furnaces, heaters

Local News

Coming in behind our storm front is another round of bitter cold. That’s prompting a warning from local firefighters.

Sergeant Bluff Fire and Rescue crews called out to the 2100 block of Buchanan Avenue Wednesday night for a basement water heater fire.

Residents of the home called firefighters after smelling burnt rubber and seeing flames coming from the water heater’s control box.

Fire officials urge homeowners to check their furnace and heaters to make sure they’re in good shape for the winter.

Assistant Chief Drew Baier of Sergeant Bluff Fire and Rescue said, “Make sure your furnace is in good operating order. Make sure the flue vents are open and clear, no ice jams on some of the units that some units may have exhaust units get frozen up. Keep objects away from the furnace, anything that could be combustible. Things could get really cold, heaters run a little bit longer there’s a bigger chance for combustible material to get lit also. And always important to have smoke detectors working in your house.”

In addition to smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors are also recommended in every home.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Local News

More Local News

Trending Stories