Holiday safety tips to avoid poisoning

Local News
holiday, chrtmas tree decoration

It’s a time to be celebrating with family and friends, but there is a chance that things don’t go as planned.

Research shows that there are increased cases of poisoning during the holiday season, according to the Nebraska Regional Poison Center.

They said that possible poison items can be overlooked due to the hustle of the season. 

To help make the season safer, they offered tips. 

  • Keep medications up and out of reach. Visiting relatives may bring their medications. 59,000 children go to Emergency Departments every year for poisoning and 48% of these cases involve children accessing grandparent’s medications. When visitors arrive for the holidays make sure to store their medications up and out of reach. You may want to store meds in a locked box.

  • Beware of small batteries and magnets that could be swallowed. Disc batteries may be found in toys, games, watches, remotes and musical greeting cards. If swallowed, they can become lodged in the throat and cause serious injury or death if not removed. Also, avoid toys that contain magnets since they may be harmful if swallowed.

  • Keep items that may contain alcohol out of children’s reach. Alcohol is found in holiday drinks and in gifts such as perfume and cologne. It is important to clean up immediately following all holiday parties. Remove all items that may contain alcohol and keep out of reach of small children. Remember to empty all ashtrays – only a few cigarette butts swallowed is enough to harm a child.

  • Lamp oil in candle lamps is frequently used this time of year. These fuels may be colored and look like pretty beverages to small children. It only takes a small amount to cause choking and a chemical pneumonia if it goes into the lung. Aroma and fragrance oils smell good and attract small children, but can also be a choking hazard and cause vomiting.

  • Keep small children and animals away from seasonal plants such as mistletoe, holly berries, yew plants and poinsettias. Poinsettias are not the fatal poison that they were once believed to be, but in large amounts can cause upset stomach.

  • Be mindful of holiday decorations. Tree icicles, tinsel and garland as these can be a choking hazard if swallowed. Snow sprays help with holiday décor, but the pressurized container may cause eye damage if sprayed directly in the eye. Glitter can be irritating to the eyes and lungs. Snow globes often have glitter, water and may contain glycols, but usually in low concentrations.

  • Remember your pets this holiday season. Chocolate, raisins, grapes and some nuts can be very toxic to animals.

To talk with a nurse or pharmacist 27/7, call 1-800-222-1222.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories