SOUTH SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KCAU) – April 20, 4:11 p.m.: The South Sioux City Fire Department (SSCFD) has released more information on Monday morning’s house fire.
According to the SSCFD, they responded to a reported structure fire at 5:05 a.m. with reports of heavy smoke and possibly trapped victims.
Officials said the South Sioux City Police units arrived and made a quick search of the residence and found one man sitting outside on the steps with problems breathing.
Authorities said fire units arrived and immediately requested an all call for off-duty personnel and volunteer staff.
The fire department mentions that additional units from the Dakota City and Sioux City Fire & Rescue also arrived at the house.
Officials said the fire was quickly put out and it was limited to the kitchen area, however, the residence did receive heavy smoke and extreme heat damage.
According to the SSCFD, the cause of the fire was an electrical appliance failure on the kitchen countertop.
Authorities said the smoke inhalation man was evaluated and taken by the Dakota City Volunteer Fire Department to MercyOne Medical Center and later air-lifted to Lincoln for further treatment.
They also mentioned there were two dogs inside the home that were rescued by the South Sioux City Fire crews.
Officials said one of the dogs was taken to Animal Control for the owner and the older pet was transported to the South Sioux Animal Hospital where she was treated for smoke inhalation.
April 20, 8:58 a.m.: Multiple Siouxland fire departments fought a fire at a South Sioux City home that sent one person to the hospital early Monday morning.
The fire was was reported early Monday morning at the intersection of 37th and Oak streets in South Sioux City.
Clint Merithew, South Sioux City Fire Department Fire Chief, said one person has been taken to the hospital for observation.
Chief Merithew said the fire is still being investigated.
Fire crews from South Sioux City, Dakota City and Sioux City were all on the scene to fight the fire.
- Medical training to resume after canceled during pandemic
- Flight 232 Memorial is currently being repaired
- COVID-19 pandemic may affect 2021 firework sales
- Siouxland Baseball/Softball Scores (7-6-20)
- Old Heelan High School to be demolished soon