SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KCAU) – Now that sports betting will be legal in Iowa, KCAU 9’s Digital Team spoke with a therapist on the sings and dangers of gambling addiction, and what to do if you or someone you know are suffering from gambling addiction.
Gambling addiction is just like any other addiction. There are signs and symptoms associated with it. There is also lots of help readily available for those addicted to gambling.
There are signs that stick out with gambling addiction. Some of the more notable signs include, but are not limited to:
- Spending money you don’t have
- Putting yourself in credit card debt
- Increased criminal activity
- The temptation to steal items for monetary value increase; as well as stealing money in general
- Selling personal items for monetary value
- Compulsion to gamble
- Having the feeling that you need to gamble
People who experience gambling addiction are often tied with other mental health-related problems such as substance abuse, depression, anxiety, alcoholism/ alcohol use, and other mental health-related illnesses.
There is a lot of support available for people who are experiencing a gambling addiction. Help varies depending on the severity of the addiction, but it is out there for everyone.
Some help for gambling addiction includes:
- Getting family help/ support
- Having your loved ones monitory your money and spending.
- Using resources available to you
- Inpatient and outpatient therapy
- Group and/ or individual therapy
- 12 step programs
- Like Gamblers Anonymous