A camper explosion over the weekend has left one man with severe burns and damage to several other buildings.
Schleswig authorities received a 911 call at approximately 2 p.m. Sunday afternoon of an explosion at 207 Cedar Street, Schleswig, Iowa.
Brett Nuzum, 28, of Kiron Iowa opened his camper’s door to go outside when he lit his cigarette and the camper exploded.
Nuzum was transported by ambulance to the Crawford County Memorial Hospital with severe burns to his face and hands. He was later transported by life flight to another facility to be treated for his burns. His current condition is unknown at this time.
Nuzum’s camper had been parked behind three buildings, all of which had minor damage on their exterior walls from the explosion. The walls of the surrounding buildings created a U-shaped area that the camper had been parked in. The camper was completely destroyed by the explosion.
The businesses residing in the buildings affected were Cheeta’s Bar and Grill, Crossgrain Woodworking, and the Schleswig Community Building.
The Schleswig Fire Department was assisted at the scene by the Kiron Fire Department, Crawford County Ambulance, and the Crawford County Sherriff’s Office.