DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — Des Moines police say a suspect in a homicide earlier this month is no longer facing charges.
Police announced Tuesday that new evidence led them to drop a first-degree murder charge against 27-year-old Michael Jermaine Jacobs. He was accused of shooting 36-year-old Sean Newman in September in a neighborhood near Drake University. The new evidence found inconsistencies in statements from a witness but police did not release more information.
Thirty-three-year-old Whitney Davis is still charged with first-degree murder in the case.
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg lies in repose at U.S. Supreme Court
- September 23: 493 new COVID-19 cases in Nebraska
- Digital Exclusive: Support Siouxland Soldiers creates deployment dolls for military kids
- Tulip Festival 2021 preparations are already underway
- Digital Exclusive: Sioux City Fire Rescue receives Mission: Lifeline® EMS Gold Plus Award