COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (KCAU) — Boat crash at Lake Manawa sends one man the hospital while another man is arrested.
According to an Iowa Department of Natural Resource press release, on September 15 around 7:30 p.m., witnesses told authorities that a boat, driven by Rodney Smith, 23, of Plattsmouth, Nebraska, and a personal watercraft, driven by Olum Sandel, 20, of Offutt Air Base, left the 5 mph zone at the same time. While both were gaining speed, Sandel made a right turn and crashed into the front of Smith’s boat.
Authorities said Sandel was transported to UNMC in Omaha for treatment of his injuries.
Smith was arrested and charged with boating while intoxicated, first offense, and was taken to the Pottawattamie County Jail, according to the press release.
The Iowa DNR Law Enforcement Bureau is still investigating the crash.
- Iowa Gov. Reynolds and Des Moines Mayor Crowie release statements on Friday night protests
- Arizona doctor survives COVID-19 after spending 55 days in hospital
- Nebraska tomato-growing plant fined $400K for hiring undocumented workers
- Amateur bread bakers save New York flour business
- South Dakota confirms 94 new cases of COVID-19, three more deaths