IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Federal experts are warning that Iowa has among the nation’s highest coronavirus death and infection rates and say residents should avoid gatherings in most counties to protect themselves from the virus.
A White House Coronavirus Task Force report found that the virus infected and killed about twice as many people per capita in Iowa as the national average between Oct. 10 and Oct. 16.
The report says new case numbers have climbed for weeks and the state’s test positivity rate also rose.
Iowa hospitals are facing a surge of coronavirus patients, with a record 536 hospitalized on Thursday.
- WATCH: Fireball lights up sky; New York residents report sightings
- Court: Rittenhouse bound over for trial in protest shootings
- Ex-Iowa nurse pleads not guilty to stealing clinic fentanyl
- Western Nebraska man accused of kidnapping woman at gunpoint
- Woman sentenced for 2018 deadly Sioux City stabbing