DYERSVILLE, Iowa (AP) — Police have charged the parents of a Dyersville toddler, saying the boy accidentally shot his mother with an unsecured gun he found in the family home.
Police say 21-year-old Meriah Carlyle and 23-year-old Logan Keller have each been charged with child endangerment for leaving a loaded handgun on a bedside table on Nov. 4. Investigators say the 2-year-old found the gun, then accidentally shot his mother, who had to be flown to an Iowa City hospital for life-saving treatment.
Police say in a criminal complaint that both parents were in the room with the child where the gun was, but didn’t notice the boy had picked up the gun until it fired.
- Tracking Hurricane Ian’s impact on Tampa Bay
- Iowa man sentenced to prison on child pornography charges
- Memorial ride stops in Carroll to honor fallen hero
- 2 men arrested in drug bust worth $150,000 in Brookings
- Hurricane Ian tracker 9 am: Ian strengthens to Category 4 hurricane, nears 155 mph windspeeds