NEVADA, Iowa (AP) – A man has been imprisoned for burning an LGBTQ flag that was flying at a church in central Iowa.
Court records say 30-year-old Adolfo Martinez of Ames was sentenced Wednesday to 15 years for the hate crime of arson and given a year for reckless use of explosives or fire and 30 days for harassment. The sentences are to be served consecutively. He’d been arrested in June.
He’s said he tore down the flag that had been hanging from the United Church of Christ in Ames and burned it because he opposes homosexuality.
- S. Korean doctors strike over med school plan amid pandemic
- Police close Lincoln bowling alley for violating mask rule
- Lincoln bowling alley owner vows to fight city virus mandate
- 2 Iowa men charged after trying to crash into police building
- Second stimulus checks: Trump executive orders leave $1,200 payments in limbo