NEVADA, Iowa (AP) – A man has been imprisoned for burning an LGBTQ flag that was flying at a church in central Iowa.
Court records say 30-year-old Adolfo Martinez of Ames was sentenced Wednesday to 15 years for the hate crime of arson and given a year for reckless use of explosives or fire and 30 days for harassment. The sentences are to be served consecutively. He’d been arrested in June.
He’s said he tore down the flag that had been hanging from the United Church of Christ in Ames and burned it because he opposes homosexuality.
- Local Girl Scouts help build bluebird boxes
- Lobby Day rally draws gun-rights advocates from across the U.S. to Richmond
- 49ers Jimmy Garoppolo: ‘It’s been a crazy whirlwind of a ride’
- Shanahan to keep close eye on backpack in Super Bowl return
- Missouri home divided as 49ers-Chiefs Super Bowl approaches