DES MOINES, Iowa — A conservation officer with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources has died from COVID-19, the department confirmed.
Officer Steve Reighard died on Friday due to complications of COVID-19, according to the Iowa DNR.
Reighard began his career with the Iowa DNR in 2005 and had been a conservation officer in Dickinson County since 2012.
A spokesperson for the Iowa DNR said Reighard is believed to be the first peace officer in Iowa to die from COVID-19.
- TIMELINE: Terminally-ill doctor held hostages, shot pediatrician and himself at her office on Tuesday
- FBI asking to help identify woman linked to child sexual exploitation investigation
- GameStop frenzy clobbers two Wall Street Goliaths
- Iowa Auditor’s Office looking into COVD-19 ‘Strike Team’ testing after e-mails reveal link between political donors and Gov. Reynolds
- Two Storm Lake women arrested for cashing $19,000 in forged checks