DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) — Police are investigating the vandalism of a synagogue in Davenport that occurred on the first day of Hanukkah.
Television station KWQC reports that someone spray-painted a New Testament biblical citation at an entrance to Temple Emanuel on Thursday afternoon. The citation “John 8:44” was painted in red on a wall near the temple doors. The verse recounts Jesus telling his critics that they are the spawn of the devil.
Rabbi Bertenthal says the vandalism and its message are particularly hurtful coming at the opening of the eight-day Jewish Festival of Lights. Police have not announced any arrests or suspects in the vandalism.
- Sioux Falls brewery uses river water to make beer
- George Floyd’s girlfriend reacts to Derek Chauvin verdict
- ‘Basic accountability’: Biden advocates for reform after Chauvin verdict
- Siouxland crime victim survivors push for Marsy’s Law in Iowa
- Trial for man accused of stabbing mother in Sioux City underway