SIOUX CITY, Iowa (KCAU) – As colder weather sets in, the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases.
Sioux City Fire Marshal Mark Aesoph describes carbon monoxide as a colorless, odorless gas.
“It’s [carbon monoxide] produced by fossil fuel-burning appliances. Things that burn propane, natural gas or a running automobile. Any fossil fuels burning produces that,” Aesoph explained.
The symptoms and warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea, dizziness and vomiting. If not treated in time, it can result in unconsciousness or death.
However, there are ways to prevent poisoning.
“Carbon monoxide alarms are recommended to be on every level of the home. If you can only afford one, the absolute, most important place is somewhere you can hear from the bedroom,” added Aesoph.
Aesoph said carbon monoxide poisoning is most dangerous at night when houses are closed-up and people are sleeping.
Aesoph recommends having your fireplaces and furnaces serviced annually.
“Make sure that they are performing the way they are supposed to. When they get out of adjustment, out of alignment, on those furnaces, the flame can actually not be as clean as it supposed to be. Which will produce the carbon monoxide in higher levels,” Aesoph said.
- University of Kansas Medical Center carrying out clinical trial of male birth control
- Two men almost hit by sliding pickup truck on I-80 near Council Bluffs
- Shanahan: ‘No injuries to report’ ahead of 49ers NFC Championship game
- Driving instructor shares winter weather travel tips
- LA tattoo artist helping victims of assault reclaim control with ‘tattoo therapy’