(NEXSTAR) – Target workers are planning a “sickout” for May 1.
Organizers say they do not have enough protection on the front lines of COVID-19.
Target workers want to draw attention to the health risks they face everyday.
A group called Target Workers Unite claims the company is more focused on sales than employee health. The activist group says the company is only taking half measures to protect them against the virus.
The planned sickout also marks International Workers Day or May Day.
Target has reduced store hours and supplied masks to its workers, but they are not required to wear them.
In a statement, the company says it is important that Target team members feel comfortable sharing their concerns.
Latest Coronavirus Stories
- February 26: Dakota County reports 6 new COVID-19 cases
- February 26: Tri-state vaccine distribution
- Third US vaccine could raise question of which shots are best
- Third stimulus checks: Here’s who would get $1,400 under the House relief plan
- February 26: 143 new COVID-19 cases in South Dakota, 140 new recoveries