NEW YORK (AP) – New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio is acknowledging that the city’s official coronavirus statistics have missed hundreds of people who died at home without ever being tested for the virus.
The mayor said on CNN’s “New Day” on Wednesday that coronavirus “is driving these very tragic deaths.”
City health officials reported 3,544 deaths from COVID-19 as of late Tuesday. That number does not include the hundreds of people who have died at home without a test for the virus.
De Blasio said the city would start including those deaths in its tally.
Latest Coronavirus Stories
- February 25: 154 new COVID-19 cases in South Dakota, 91 new recoveries
- China denies it subjected US diplomats to anal COVID-19 tests
- February 25: 27 new COVID-19 cases in Woodbury County
- How would COVID-19 vaccine makers adapt to variants of the virus?
- February 25: Nearly 700 new COVID-19 positive tests in Iowa, 15 more deaths