(KCAU) – The American Lung Association (ALA) is launching a $25 Million COVID-19 research initiative.
The new initiative will expand the association’s ongoing respiratory disease research program.
The ALA’s CEO said they want to make an immediate impact when the need is the greatest.
The research will also be directed towards defending against future pandemics.
The lung association was originally founded in 1904 to fight tuberculosis.
ALA hopes to have the same success with the novel coronavirus.
The association’s researchers were among the first to prove the connection between air pollution and lung health.
Latest Coronavirus Stories
- One new COVID-19 case reported at Sioux City schools
- April 16: Tri-state vaccine distribution
- South African coronavirus variant found in Nebraska
- April 16: More than 200 new COVID-19 recoveries reported in South Dakota, 367 new recoveries
- April 16: Woodbury County reports 11 new COVID-19 cases, another virus-related death